Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Upon Reflection

What a surprise it is when a collage seems to build itself, providing key components along the way. There may be a small group of images afloat on my art table "speaking" to me without words; I can feel the cohesion like a magnetic draw, but can only surmise the direction while the outcome remains vague. When that happens sometimes and I feel stuck not knowing how to begin, the solution arises only when I pick up a piece and start cutting. It's a leap of faith and I have learned I can trust the process. The image below could have ended up with one of the many "names" that came while cutting, arranging, rearranging and assembly. 

Once again it is somehow related to my thoughts and emotions looking back through the memories of the past five years, shared in the most recent collage.

Here is a photo of the collection of images  before I began to cut. And below, the final collage. Once again "cut outs" added dimension and continuity.

I scanned a conte' crayon imaged by Lucian Freud and played with adding a wash of pale blue and brown and flipping a smaller version to slip into the background -- "reflection."






No comments:

Post a Comment